[Mailman-Users] Error on attempt to create a List inMailman 2.1.7-15.12.1 from Mailman Web admin UI

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 26 02:33:05 CEST 2012

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > >What does "ls -l /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/create" (assuming that's the
 > >correct path to the create wrapper) show?
 > >  Answer:  I have no directory called "create" in the /var/lib/mailman/directory structure

As Mark points out, it's /usr/..., not /var/....  Many installations
link the /usr/lib/mailman directories into the /var/lib/mailman tree
for convenience, but not all do.

 > How about "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/create"?

I suspect on many distros it's more likely to be

    /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/create

(note inversion of cgi-bin and mailman in the path).  I would guess
that the rationale is security eggs in one basket.  For the webserver
admin There's One Obvious Place To Look For It, which is important if
they're not the same person as the mailman admin.