[Mailman-Users] Mailman stuck : mailmanctl dead with messages in /qfiles/in

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 1 01:15:03 CEST 2012

On 4/30/2012 3:43 PM, Jérôme wrote:

> Mailman somtimes gets stuck on my installation. By stuck, I mean I get no
> mail and no subscription notification. Until I relaunch it.
[...]
> Troubleshooting
> ---------------
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/4.78+Troubleshooting-+No+mail+going+out+to+lists+members
>
> 2/ Cron/mailmanctl
>
> ps auxww| grep mailmanctl |grep -v grep
> -> Nothing.

How about

ps auxww| grep qrunner |grep -v grep

> 7/ Locks
>
> /var/lib/mailman/locks -> /var/lock/mailman
>
> ll /var/lock/mailman
> total 0

It appears that some process or person is stopping Mailman.

> 8/ Logs
>
> /var/log/mailman/error :
> Apr 30 03:16:21 2012 mailmanctl(11685): No child with pid: 17093
> Apr 30 03:16:21 2012 mailmanctl(11685): [Errno 3] No such process
> Apr 30 03:16:21 2012 mailmanctl(11685): Stale pid file removed.

How about /var/log/mailman/qrunner ?

> Debug info
> ----------
>
> Last time it got stuck, I did the modification suggested here :
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/4.73+How+do+I+debug+smtp-failure+problems+-+delivery+to+user-example.com+failed+with+code+-1-+and+Low+level+smtp+error-
>
> modified
> /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py
> to add
> self.__conn.set_debuglevel(1)

And yet you are not logging any smtp debugging in Mailman's error log.
There should be copious log information for every outgoing message.

> Configuration
> -------------
>
> Not sure this is useful, but
> /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py contains
> MTA='LocalPostfix'

The above line should cause significant problems when attempting to
create or remove lists. it MUST be one of

MTA = 'Postfix'
MTA = 'Manual'
MTA = None

'Postfix' means generate aliases and virtual-mailman files for Postfix.
'Manual' means display the necessary aliases
None means don't do anything with aliases when lists are created/removed.

> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain1.tld', 'domain2.tld']
>
> I would like to figure out what is happening, therefore I don't relaunch, in
> case there would be some more information I could get.

What's in the qrunner log?