[Mailman-Users] mailman running very slow

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Wed Oct 24 20:17:50 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-24 at 11:06 -0700, Brad Knowles wrote:
> > Another very useful tool for analyzing mail issues is swaks.
>
> Now that's a tool I had not heard of before.  I'm assuming you mean
> the tool at <http://www.jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/>?

That's the one.  I used to test SMTP stuff by using telnet to port 25
and talking to an SMTP server, but swaks does all the lifting for you,
and gives you a terminal display of the entire dialog in real time, so
you can see where a SMTP transaction is hanging, or timing out, or
whatever.  It's written in perl, and self-docs with a man-page like help
system.  It has a ton of useful options, and is truly, as advertised,
"the Swiss army knife for SMTP".  As a mail admin, I couldn't be without
it :)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Behold! Our way lies through a
FMP Computer Services |    dark wood whence in which