[Mailman-Users] Ddelivery status not sent to Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 14 21:24:57 CEST 2012

Futchko, Rose wrote:

>Shapiro (sic), Mark wrote:
>
>>What you are seeing is some MTA in the delivery path to the recipient
>is returning a DSN to the poster (i.e. the address in a From: or perhaps
>misconfiguration or more likely, just plain brokenness, is in this MTA
>which serves the intended recipient and is probably not under your
>control.=20
>

>Our organization owns the MTA and supports it internally. What should I
>tell the admin of the POSTFIX MTA to change or look for?

I have never seen Postfix do this. As far as I know there is no way to
misconfigure Postfix that would make it do this.

Are you certain that the DSNs your posters are receiving come from your
organization's Postfix? More likely Mailman delivers to your Postfix
which in turn delivers successfully to the remote domain's MX and that
MTA then encounters a delivery problem and returns the DSN.

Look at all the headers of the errant DSN. Often it will be From:
mailer-daemon at some.domain or something similar which may identify the
MTA's domain. Also, the first Received: header (furthest from the top
of the headers) will show the server the DSN came from.