[Mailman-Users] messages in Pipermail archive thread view aremostly out of order with no pattern

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 25 06:23:14 CEST 2012

Rusty Newton wrote:
>Mailman version 2.1.11
>Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition)

And whose package?

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.

>Has anyone seen this before?

Yes

>Example of the issue:
>http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2012-September/thread.html

This appears to be a manifestation of a problem caused by a bad
Debian/Ubuntu patch. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-April/069328.html>.

The underlying bug reported at
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=167758> was fixed in
GNU Mailman 2.1.13 in a way that doesn't break threading, and the
Debian patch is not in any current Debian packages.

I don't know how this happened if you didn't do anything. Perhaps it
was just unreported.

Assuming this is caused by the bad Debian patch, I think in order to
fix it, you need to remove the bad patch, fix a few problems in
archives/private/asterisk-users.mbox/asterisk-users.mbox and run
bin/arch --wipe asterisk-users.

The problems I see are incorrect dates (May 2016 instead of Sep 2006)
in the From_ separator of those posts indexed at
<http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2016-May/thread.html>.

Note that there is a possibility that running bin/arch --wipe could
alter some or many message numbers, thus invalidating any saved URLs
to messages.