[Mailman-Users] Recovering EMail Addresses from Majordomo'ssubscribers.D File

DSH kenwood0622 at dogomania.com
Mon Apr 29 16:29:06 CEST 2013

--- mark at msapiro.net wrote:

From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
To: kenwood0622 at dogomania.com
CC: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Recovering EMail Addresses from Majordomo's
subscribers.D File
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:50:09 -0700

<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/files/head:/contrib/>.

> --

Thank you.  I would have bet money the next post was going to say tough
luck and have fun entering all the names manually so your post was a
very pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately I could not get either script to work for me so perhaps
that will come in the next post.

When looking at the first script, (import_majordomo_into_mailman.pl) the
fist thing I noticed was the assumption that “Majordomo has all of its
list configurations in a single, local directory.”   My directory
structure is as shown below.

/usr/local/majordomo/lists/host.domain.tld/listname

with the configuration files inside the listname directory and there is
a listname directory for each list.  The files in each listname
directory are as follows

_config
_dup_id.D
_dup_partial.D
_dup_sum.D
_posts.D
_subscribers.D

After trying several things I decided the best option was to work with
just one of the lists and moved the configuration files of one list back two
directories so that they were all under /usr/local/majordomo/lists.  It
seemed that was what the script really wanted.

Using that configuration and running the script with the --list=listname
option resulted in the message that it could not find the file
listname.config.  I then renamed the _config file to listname.config and
ran the script still again.

This time it ran to completion with no error messages but with the
following output.

Import complete!  0 lists imported.

A check of the log revealed the following on the last run.

Apr 25 14:42:22 [DEBUG] Calling /usr/local/mailman/bin/list_lists -b...
Apr 25 14:42:23 [INFO] Starting list listname...
Apr 25 14:42:23 [INFO] Getting Majordomo config for list listname...
Apr 25 14:42:23 [WARNING] No admin_passwd or listname.passwd file.
Skipping...
Apr 25 14:42:23 [DEBUG] No config returned by getDomoConfig().
Skipping...
Apr 25 14:42:23 [DEBUG] Deleting /tmp/*.mm.* files...
Apr 25 14:42:23 [DEBUG] Calling /usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms -f >>
/tmp/import_majordomo_into_mailman.log 2>&1...
No problems found
Apr 25 14:42:23 [DEBUG] Calling /usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms -f >>
/tmp/import_majordomo_into_mailman.log 2>&1 again for good measure...
No problems found

I have no idea why my directory structure and file names are so
different since I am using the version of majordomo (1.94.5) referenced
in the script.   I guess I could have changed a default value while doing the
original majordomo install but I do not recall doing so.  Any ideas?

The second script (majordomo2mailman.pl) was worse.  It apparently ran
but never threw an error message or had any output that I could see.
The only way I could get anything out if it was intentionally giving it
a wrong path to the aliases file. It would complain about that.