[Mailman-Users] Related question about limiting postings [was: Is there any throttle function in mailman?]

e.c. eminmn at sysmatrix.net
Thu Jul 4 13:15:11 CEST 2013

Thanks, Mark. Apparently the option to provide for limiting postings is a
hard problem. The Sympa people didn't know whether it could be accomplised
with a scenario or not. I will start reading the mailman developers archive
and submit a request for such features in mailman ver. 3.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 06/27/2013 09:30 AM, e.c. wrote:
> >
> > Two possibly related features available on the LISTSERV product are (1)
> > limiting postings per listmember and (2) per list.
> [...]
> > Could they be implemented on mailman (or postfix, exim, sendmail)?
>

> Mailman is open source so anyone is free to modify it to include these
> features. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone familiar with
> Mailman's internals.

I hope you're right about that assessment of the difficulty. If it really
is rather easy, I would be willing to pay a python (or Linux) wizard to add
that functionality.

> It is very unlikely that these features will ever be
> implemented/included in a GNU Mailman 2.1 release. Possibly they could
> be considered for Mailman 3. You could submit a feature request (bug
> report) at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+filebug> and tag it
> 'mailman3'.
>

> > is it
> > possible to use mailmain with LSMTP  on Gnu/Linux? Any advice would be
> > appreciated.
>

> Isn't LSMTP a Windows product?

I know that there is a limited free version of LISTSERV that runs on
Gnu/Linux but I don't know if LSMTP can be used in that context.