[Mailman-Users] Migration to a new server: recommendations for testing the new Mailman server before changing DNS records; also how to avoid lost/bounced messages during change-over?

David dave at fiteyes.com
Mon Jul 8 22:29:56 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 07/04/2013 11:58 AM, David wrote:
>
> If the mail server on the new box thinks list domains are in its local
> delivery space (mydestination in Postfix), you can just send mail from
> an MUA on the local box configured to deliver via SMTP to the local MTA,
> and it all should work except that mail from Mailman to local addresses
> will be delivered to the new box instead of the current live box.

The new box has no GUI. The OS is Debian 6.
$ uname -r
3.9.3-x86_64-linode33

The MUA is:
heirloom-mailx
$ mailx -V
12.5 6/20/10

The MTA is postfix. (For some reason I can't run "postconf -d | grep
mail_version" so I'll have to ask the sysadmin later about that. But at the
moment, I don't know the postfix version.)

Given that info, which settings changes should I make to proceed with the
testing plan you described above?

So far all I did was:
1. create a ~/.mailrc file with contents:

set smtp=localhost

2. edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and change mydestination to the line below:
mydestination = localhost, localhost.localdomain

I did not restart postfix yet... I appreciate any feedback regarding next
steps.