[Mailman-Users] Search by Message-ID, preserving Cc for direct recipients

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 14 19:17:39 CEST 2013

I would like to be able to search the archives of a mailman list using
the Message-ID, ideally using a stable URL like

  http://mid.gmane.org/${message_id}
  http://mail-archive.com/search?l=mid&q=${message_id}

but preferably on our own host as we're not currently mirrored and would
rather link to our own archives when referencing on old discussion on
the list.  Our current archives (e.g., [1]) are searched using htdig,
but it doesn't seem to support query by Message-ID.  Your wiki page [2]
also suggests Swish, MnoGoSearch, and Namazu.  Can any of these search
by Message-ID, or is our best bet to get indexed by mail-archive.com and
direct people there?

Second question: Why are direct recipients dropped from the Cc header of
the copy sent via the list?  This seems partially addressed in the
archives [3], but I think it's important for high-volume lists when
people filter conversations based on whether they are a direct
recipient.  Is there an option somewhere to keep Cc headers intact
without changing other behavior?

[1] http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-dev/
[2] http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/How+do+I+make+the+archives+searchable
[3] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2006-May/018777.html