[Mailman-Users] Mailman digest issues

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 12 18:55:38 CEST 2014

On 08/12/2014 12:32 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

> The smtp log show that the list do send message (to normal-members I guess), but I can't verify if messages are sent to digest-members. The list admin say no mails are sent to digest-members.

The smtp log message for a digest would look similar to

Aug 12 12:xx:xx 2014 (pid) <mailman.ss.tttttt.ttt.listname at server> smtp
to listname for nn recips, completed in t.ttt seconds

I.e, it would be timestamped shortly after noon and have a Mailman
generated message id. There might be two, one for all plain format
digests and one for MIME format digests.

> I am still confused, even after reading section 2.6 in http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin.pdf. In my understanding, (and I know I'm wrong here) if the volume number is changed weekly, but digest mails are sent daily, all digests will contain the same volume number all week long. What is the difference between volume number and issue number, and when do Mailman send what?

A volume is a set of issues. The very first digest is Volume 1, Issue 1.
The next is Volume 1, Issue 2 and so on. After digest_volume_frequency
elapses, the next digest is Volume 2, Issue 1, and so on.

Most print periodicals work the same way.

> How can I tell normal from digest? Will the digest mails mention Digest I the SMTP log. If so, no digests have been sent.

Digests have a mailman generated message id of the form
<mailman.ss.tttttt.ttt.listname at server>, but so do all Mailman generated
notices, but the latter have only one or a few recipients.

> No errors in the error log. Cron/senddigests -l LISTNAME. However, shows
>
>   [root at mailman.example.com]# /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests -l Sci-diku-imageworld
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 106, in <module>
>       main()
>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 84, in main
>       mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 130, in __init__
>       self.Load()
>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 626, in Load
>       raise Errors.MMUnknownListError
>   Mailman.Errors.MMUnknownListError

Does LISTNAME (all lower case) exist? Does the file
lists/listname/config.pck exist in Mailman's file system?