[Mailman-Users] Mailman digest issues

Henrik Rasmussen her at adm.ku.dk
Wed Aug 13 09:53:46 CEST 2014

On 08/12/2014 6:56 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> I am still confused, even after reading section 2.6 in http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin.pdf. In my understanding, (and I know I'm wrong here) if the volume number is >>changed weekly, but digest mails are sent daily, all digests will contain the same volume number all week long. What is the difference between volume number and issue number, and when do >>Mailman send what?

>A volume is a set of issues. The very first digest is Volume 1, Issue 1.
>The next is Volume 1, Issue 2 and so on. After digest_volume_frequency elapses, the next digest is Volume 2, Issue 1, and so on.
>
>Most print periodicals work the same way.

What is the purpose of using both Volumes and issues? I mean, wouldn't a single counter (like Issue) be sufficient? I ask simply to understand the nature, and relations between Digest options (where exist).

>> No errors in the error log. Cron/senddigests -l LISTNAME. However,
>> shows
>>
>>   [root at mailman.example.com]# /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests -l Sci-diku-imageworld
>>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 106, in <module>
>>       main()
>>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 84, in main
>>       mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
>>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 130, in __init__
>>       self.Load()
>>     File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 626, in Load
>>       raise Errors.MMUnknownListError
>>   Mailman.Errors.MMUnknownListError
>

>Does LISTNAME (all lower case) exist? Does the file lists/listname/config.pck exist in Mailman's file system?

Yes, the list (lower case except for the first character, as list_lists display them) do exist, and the lists/sci-diku-imageworld/config.pck too.

> This is a bug <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558274>. It was fixed in 2.1.16. Prior to that, setting digest_size_threshhold = 0 would produce the behavior you see.
>
>If you want no digests based on size in older versions, set digest_size_threshhold =  a very large number.

No Digest mails was sent at all when digest_size_threshhold = 1000.

>I don't understand this question. With emergency = Yes, all posts will be held and if approved by the list admin/moderator will be delivered to the list and accumulated for the digest (which with >digest_size_threshhold = 0 pre 2.1.16 will be sent immediately, one digest per post).

Thanks, that's what I meant and figured.

Henrik Rasmussen