[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.18-1 not respecting add_virtualhost

Chris Miller ctodd at scratchspace.com
Fri Aug 15 03:06:43 CEST 2014

On 8/14/2014 5:31 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 08/14/2014 01:17 PM, Chris Miller wrote:
>>> What is the output from the above command?
>>

>>      'host_name': 'lists.customer.com',
>>      'web_page_url': 'http://lists.ourcompany.com/mailman/',
>
> I meant the actual command output, not the result. I.e., something like
>

> Importing fix_url...
> Running fix_url.fix_url()...
> Saving list
> Finalizing
>
> but perhaps with some traceback or other info.

I sent you a PM with output.

>> Is this simply a matter of creating the hostname directories, moving the
>> lists into the right hostname directories, and re-running fix_url?
>
> The entire purpose of the vhost branch is to add host_name
> subdirectories to the lists/ directory so that list names do not have to
> be globally unique. If this in not a requirement in your case, I suggest
> installing the unpatched 2.1.18-1 release.

We do want unique names, but in practice this never really worked
right. All of the lists do need to maintain their own unique domain
name space including access to the list, so we need to sort this out.

We started with the patches from the original contributor and
version 2.1.5. I think we went to 2.1.9, 2.1.14, and now the latest.
It's possible that along the way issues were introduced, but this
has more or less worked properly.

> The vhost has issues. In particular bin/withlist -l does not work with
> hostname/listname type lists.
>
> If all your listname directories are directly under lists/ and your
> mm_cfg.py contains
>
> add_virtualhost('list.customerdomain.com', 'customerdomain.com')
>
> I don't know why

I am confused as well. To restate the question is it possible I just
need to create the hostname directories and reorganize everything?

--

Regards,
     Chris

Chris Miller