[Mailman-Users] Munging and Reply All behaviour with Outlook

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Aug 18 05:54:27 CEST 2014

Peter Shute writes:

 > We're now on a new list server, which is running v2.1.18-1. We've
 > set from_is_list to munged, and it's now sending list messages from
 > the list, and putting the original sender's address in Reply To as
 > expected.
 >
 > On my iPad, Reply sends a message back to the original sender,
 > which is what we want. Reply To sends a message to both the
 > original sender and also the list, which is what we want.
 >
 > Apparently gmail web interface works the same way, but Outlook
 > doesn't. Outlook sends Reply All to the original sender and anyone
 > else that was Cc'd, but not the list.
 >
 > Is there a fix? Which other variables affect this?

No, there is no fix.  Both behaviors are arguably RFC conforming (the
RFC doesn't specify "Reply to All" behavior of MUAs, so the MUAs can
do whatever they want), and Outlook's is arguably more conformant to
the spirit of the RFC, since according to the RFC the configuration

    From: list at example.com

has the semantics "the entity using the mailbox 'list at example.com'
requests that you address mail intended for the entity to the mailbox
'person at example.org'".  Since HMS Reply-To-Munging-Considered-Useful
has long since sailed, I agree that the AppleMail/GMail behavior is
more useful, but good luck getting existing installations of Outlook
patched to do what's useful.

This ambiguity is I why I find the setting dmarc_moderation_action to
'wrap' to be preferable, since all relevant information is preserved
on the "inside" message.  However, folks using AppleMail on iOS (and
maybe Mac OS too) have complained about this setting, and it's not
intuitive to most subscribers.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards,