[Mailman-Users] Munging and Reply All behaviour with Outlook

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Mon Aug 18 06:45:35 CEST 2014

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Peter Shute writes:
>
>  > We're now on a new list server, which is running v2.1.18-1. We've
>  > set from_is_list to munged, and it's now sending list messages from
>  > the list, and putting the original sender's address in Reply To as
>  > expected.
>  >
>  > On my iPad, Reply sends a message back to the original sender,
>  > which is what we want. Reply To sends a message to both the
>  > original sender and also the list, which is what we want.
>  >
>  > Apparently gmail web interface works the same way, but Outlook
>  > doesn't. Outlook sends Reply All to the original sender and anyone
>  > else that was Cc'd, but not the list.
>  >
>  > Is there a fix? Which other variables affect this?
>
> No, there is no fix.

Thanks, I'll stop looking for one!

> This ambiguity is I why I find the setting dmarc_moderation_action to
> 'wrap' to be preferable, since all relevant information is preserved
> on the "inside" message.  However, folks using AppleMail on iOS (and
> maybe Mac OS too) have complained about this setting, and it's not
> intuitive to most subscribers.

I don't think that's a good alternative then.

> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

That's fine, I just want to know what the options are without having to experiment with all sorts of clients.

If we set from_is_list to No, how does the list behave when yahoo.com emails arrive? I'm under the impression it will send them to the moderation queue, and will offer extra options like munging. Is that correct, or am I confused? Do we have to change any other settings to make that happen?

Looking now at the description of dmarc_moderation_action, I think I'm confused.

Peter Shute