[Mailman-Users] Redacted Email Address in Feedback Loop

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Aug 18 20:22:48 CEST 2014

>I think munging the headers is a sensible practice, as it makes it
>a little harder to listwash; the main idea of the FBL as I understand it
>is to give you an idea when there's some kind of gross abuse, not that
>you are required to unsubscribe anyone who complains about your mail.

Munging FBLs is actually fairly stupid, since everyone knows that any
sender can hide coded versions of the recipient address somewhere in
the message, and most ESPs do.

The ISPs I've talked to have told me that their lawyers say they have
to do it because the party getting the FBL might not be the same as
the sender, or something.

As far as what recipients are supposed to do, they want the complaints
to stop.  They don't care how you do it.

R's,
John