[Mailman-Users] Munging and Reply All behaviour with Outlook

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Tue Aug 19 04:23:10 CEST 2014

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  > If we set from_is_list to No, how does the list behave
> when  > yahoo.com emails arrive?
>
> That depends on the setting of dmarc_moderation_action.  If
> it is set to Accept, it just passes them through, and lets
> the destination decide what to do.  Almost certainly you will
> get many bounces.

So if we set fom_is_list to No and dmarc_moderation_action to Munge From, non yahoo/aol emails will go through normally, and yahoo/aol emails will get munged? That's what we want. We're seeing too many side effects from munging them all.

>  > I'm under the impression it will send them to the
> moderation queue,  > and will offer extra options like munging.
>
> No.  Neither of these options can cause a message to end up
> in the moderation queue as currently specified.

Good, we don't need that. I've been reading the messages here about these options ever since yahoo made the change that prompted their creation, but without understanding properly because we were stuck on 2.1.15.

> I think what you missed is that all DMARC moderation is done
> by a robot; no human intervention involved.

Yes. I somehow got the idea there was an addional "safety net" that would give moderators a last chance to choose to munge or wrap at approval time. Like if dmarc_moderation_action had a Hold option.

> This means that only messages from badly-behaved domains get
> altered in ways which make life difficult for readers.  For
> me, this is great
> -- it gives my *very* few "p=reject" members a strong
> incentive to subscribe an address from a good citizen domain.
> :-)  Obviously, most admins are nowhere near so fortunate, so
> I can't recommend making such a rationale public. ;-)

Very few of our yahoo/aol members ever post. Lots of those who did have already changed to gmail when we asked, but a couple remain. If they still won't change then they'll have to put up with this.

I've discovered another side effect of munging and iOS Mail, which I'll mention in another thread.

Thanks for your help,
Peter Shute