[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Mailing list lag to SOME users

Kevin Carpenter kevinc at seaplace.org
Tue Aug 19 21:53:43 CEST 2014

Stephen -

Sorry for not being clear.

List members are world wide, some have the same domain, for example,
perhaps 10% use gmail.

We have documented cases of two users at the same company having
dramatically different delivery times.  e.g.  for user1 at abc.com and
user2 at abc.com:  user2 may get delivery in 5 seconds vs. user1 getting
the delivery in 4 hours, inconsistently.  e.g. the next message may go
through fine, or delay a different user.

Lets try the headers a different way: http://puu.sh/aZpeO/cbef0bd773.png

Cheers!

Kevin

On 8/19/2014 12:56 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Kevin Carpenter writes:
>
>   > I have a somewhat large mailing list, about 1700 users, that is
>   > generally working just fine.  However, some users are seeing LONG delays
>   > (like 4+ hours) on mail delivery while other users, in the same
>   > organization, get sub-minute delivery.
>
> By "same organization", you mean the sender, the mailman host, and the
> recipients all work for/are members of the same organization?
>
> By "some users" you mean some users always have long delays, and the
> others don't?  Some users sometimes have long delays, sometimes not?
>
> FWIW, the "four hours" sounds like some host is greylisting.  If so,
> it should be visible in the logs, as a temporary failure for the
> message which then ends up in the queue, and getting retried about
> four hours later, when it goes through.
>
>   > Specifically, the step 6 delay in the header analysis below is
>   > typically 2 seconds.
>
> I don't see anything at all below.  This list strips many kinds of
> attachments.

---