[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Mailing list lag to SOME users

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Aug 20 07:16:26 CEST 2014

Kevin Carpenter writes:

 > Agreed, but my understanding of my greylist software is that it does it
 > via mail address, and these are regular members of the list, not first
 > time posters.  e.g.  They shouldn't be greylisted anymore.

Most greylist software only whitelists for a specified period of time,
typically 24 hours.  YMMV of course.

 > Well, the good news is that I run my own DNS server as well.  And your
 > right, the reason mail.seaplace.org has an A record is because of the MX
 > issue.  I suppose I could make "spoe" a CNAME of mail, although the
 > random nature of this problem also makes me think this isn't the
 > problem.

I don't think that's necessary, although it makes the situation
clearer.  What I'm recommending is switching the PTR for the IP
address to point to mail.seaplace.org.

 > One thing I noticed is that Amavis is being called twice.  That seemed
 > really weird to me.

I suspect that if you change Mailman to talk to localhost:25 instead
of mail.seaplace.org:25, Amavis will no longer be called.  It's
probably possible to get Postfix (IIRC) to recognize mail.seaplace.org
as localhost, and that might fix it too.  But at present, Postfix is
probably configured to think of mail from local host as trustworthy
and not scan it on the way out, while mail received on the external
interface is treated as "external", and therefore as needing scanning.