[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Mailing list lag to SOME users

Kevin Carpenter kevinc at seaplace.org
Fri Aug 22 17:31:54 CEST 2014

OK... going to try one thing at a time.

First:

In mm_cfg.py  changing smtphost to point at localhost.

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.seaplace.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.seaplace.org'
#SMTPHOST = 'mail.seaplace.org'
SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
MTA = 'Postfix'

Hopefully that won't break anything since, at least on this instance of
mailman, its all running on the same machine.

About to find out.

Kevin

On 8/20/2014 12:16 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Kevin Carpenter writes:
>
>   > Agreed, but my understanding of my greylist software is that it does it
>   > via mail address, and these are regular members of the list, not first
>   > time posters.  e.g.  They shouldn't be greylisted anymore.
>
> Most greylist software only whitelists for a specified period of time,
> typically 24 hours.  YMMV of course.
>
>   > Well, the good news is that I run my own DNS server as well.  And your
>   > right, the reason mail.seaplace.org has an A record is because of the MX
>   > issue.  I suppose I could make "spoe" a CNAME of mail, although the
>   > random nature of this problem also makes me think this isn't the
>   > problem.
>
> I don't think that's necessary, although it makes the situation
> clearer.  What I'm recommending is switching the PTR for the IP
> address to point to mail.seaplace.org.
>
>   > One thing I noticed is that Amavis is being called twice.  That seemed
>   > really weird to me.
>
> I suspect that if you change Mailman to talk to localhost:25 instead
> of mail.seaplace.org:25, Amavis will no longer be called.  It's
> probably possible to get Postfix (IIRC) to recognize mail.seaplace.org
> as localhost, and that might fix it too.  But at present, Postfix is
> probably configured to think of mail from local host as trustworthy
> and not scan it on the way out, while mail received on the external
> interface is treated as "external", and therefore as needing scanning.

---