[Mailman-Users] Inconsistent Message Delivery -- Hosted

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 3 02:33:53 CET 2014

On 12/02/2014 05:15 PM, Charlene Ruell wrote:

> What adds to the mystery is it is not consistent.
> Yesterday, several of my users reported receiving some messages from a list,
> but not others. I've asked for feedback to get a better handle on what the
> common denominator might be. In my thinking, if users are receiving some
> messages it is not a filter or spam issue, otherwise ALL messages would be
> stopped. Correct?

No. ISPs reject, file as spam or silently discard messages based on
criteria that only the individual ISPs understand completely and they
won't reveal their methods because they think it aids spammers.

Even if they are blocking a sending server by IP, that might not apply
to all list mail if the host has multiple outgoing servers.

Note that if the undelivered posts are all From: aol.com and/or
yahoo.com, it may be a DMARC issue. See
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/DMARC> and
<http://wiki.list.org/x/ggARAQ>.