[Mailman-Users] Erratic mail delivery times

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 18 03:20:33 CEST 2014

On 07/17/2014 05:01 PM, Peter Shute wrote:

> I've now enabled protocol logging on our Exchange server, a new world for me. I can see several possibly relevant events in yesterday's logs that look like this:
> 2014-07-17T07:02:03.914Z,NUWVICMS2\Default NUWVICMS2,08D145520008BC68,24,192.168.0.36:25,192.64.112.70:38732,>,550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: message refused,

This is a 550 (extended 5.7.,1) status which is a permanent failure.
This is a bounce and will (should) not be retried by the sending server.

I doubt that this specific log message has anything to do with your
delayed messages.

> But if the antispam software is refusing the messages, how do they eventually get through?

Exactly.

You could look at the logs on the 192.64.112.70 sending server to see
what that server did with this message after it was bounced by the
exchange server.

If the Mailman server is sending directly to the exchange server and
that is where the delays are occurring, you need to look at the MTA logs
of the Mailman server and see what's there relevant to sending failures
and resends.

But, this thread no longer has anything to do with Mailman. Perhaps you
could find another list/forum to discuss this that might be able to
provide more expertise in this area.