[Mailman-Users] Bounces not being detected

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 21 17:53:52 CEST 2014

On 06/20/2014 06:03 PM, Peter Fraser wrote:
> Hi AllI have mailman-2.1.17 running on FreeBSD 9.1 along with postfix-2.11.0,1
> I noticed that bad email addresses were not being cleared out so I downloaded get_bounce_info.py,saved it and ran it. No bounce info was displayed.I checked the postfix logs and the bounce info was there. A bit from the logs is below:
> status=bounced (host bla bla .com[x.x.x.x] said: 550 5.7.1 No mailbox found (in reply to RCPT TO command))
> Shouldn't mailman detect these bounces?

Yes.

> Does mailman detect from the smtp logs or some other method?

Bounces are detected in two ways. The bounce you refer to above may,
depending on the Postfix configuration, result in a failed recipient
with a "550" status being reported during the SMTP transaction between
Mailman and Postfix. This should be logged in Mailman's smtp-failure
log, queued as a bounce, processed by BounceRunner, scored and logged in
Mailman's bounce log.

Alternatively, Postfix won't detect the problem during SMTP with Mailman
and later, either (in this case) the local Postfix or some downstream
MTA will return a failure DSN to the envelope sender which may be
LISTNAME-bounces at your.domain or in the case of VERP,
LISTNAME-bounces+user=example.com at your.domain. This DSN should be
received by Mailman, processed by BounceRunner, recognized, scored and
logged in Mailman's bounce log.

So first questions, is BounceRunner running? Is there anything in
Mailman's qfiles/bounce/ queue or any bounce-events-*.pck files in
Mailman's data/ directory?

Next, the above partial Postfix log message should also contain a queue
ID and be followed by another log message of the form

postfix/bounce[pppp]: msg_queue_id: sender non-delivery notification:
dsn_queue_id.

with the same msg_queue_id as that of the status=bounced log message.

What do the logs say about the DSN with queue ID dsn_queue_id?