[Mailman-Users] add mailto: link to the bottom of each posting

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 14 01:12:19 CET 2014

On 03/13/2014 07:00 AM, Steve Nospam wrote:
> Because each email client deals with mime differently, I would like to add a link to the bottom of each posting that would allow the recipient to click and replay to the posting.  This will allow digest recipients to reply more easily and hopefully avoid replies with the entire digest being sent back.

You cannot do this with list configuration settings for reasons
including the fact that Mailman fdoesn't add msg_footer to the messages
in the digest; it only adds digest_footer at the end.

You would have to modify Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py to add the footer
after each message, but even then, since the "plain" digest is plain
text by default, you couldn't add it as an anchor tag. You would just
have to add something like

<mailto:listname at my.domain?subject="subject of the message being read">

and hope that the user's MUA would render that as a clickable link.

> In my experiments, I see that gmail interprets the digest as a single email with all the postings strung together and no ability to reply to a particular message.  Outlook creates a separate attachment for each posting in the digest.  With a handler like above, digests would become much more useful for my lists.  I've done lots of searching the archives and have not found this capability.

There are two digest formats, MIME and plain. In the plain digest, all
the messages are concatenated in a single plain text digest. There do
exist digest exploders for some MUAs that will break the digest into
individual messages.

In the MIME digest, each message is a separate message/rfc822
attachment. As you have seen, some MUAs like gmail display all the
messages strung together and offer no ability to reply to a single
message. Others like thunderbird (I'm not sure about outlook) will
display all the messages inline, but still give the ability to open a
single message and reply to it.