[Mailman-Users] Direct message to archive only?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 14 04:34:28 CET 2014

On 03/13/2014 06:30 PM, Keith Bierman wrote:

> Back when I was administering my own mailserver it was easy enough to
> have a -archive list which only went to the same archive file as the
> list itself (I don't recall the syntax, but I recall setting it up under
> multiple generations of SunOS ;>).

One way this could be done would be to create the 'list' list and the
'list-archive' list and then create symlinks from
archives/private/list-archive to archives/private/list and from
archives/private/list-archive.mbox to archives/private/list.mbox.

I think this would work, but there is a potential race issue if
ArchRunner is sliced and posts arrive for both lists concurrently
because there is really only one archive, but separate locks for the two
lists. This wouldn't be an issue if ArchRunner is not sliced as then
there would only be a single thread/process doing archiving.

> It's a common enough use-case I'd hoped there was a civilized way to do
> it through the cPanel/mailman front door.

Sorry, not that I know of.