[Mailman-Users] Mailman error (2.1.16): "low level unrecoverable exception"

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu May 1 17:21:28 CEST 2014

At Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:34:51 -0700 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 04/30/2014 11:30 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > What does this error message mean? "low level unrecoverable exception"
>

> It means something really bad happened. One of the Mailman web CGIs
> threw an exception and the CGI driver script encountered another
> exception while trying to log a traceback and the environment info.
>

> > I just installed my own build of mailman 2.1.16 (built under CentOS 5 x84_64)
> > as an upgrade over the stock 2.1.9 that comes with CentOS 5 and I am getting
> > this error. What should I be looking for?
>

> Did you restart Mailman or stop before, start after?

I believe the install scripts in the RPM stop and restart Mailman.  But I will
do an explicit shutdown of Mailman before the upgrade when I try it again.

> Did you totally remove the Centos package or try to 'upgrade' it. The
> latter is not at all straightforward. See the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB>.

That page relates to upgrading from 2.1.5-20 or earlier.  I was upgrading from
2.1.9, so that does not apply (?).  When I did an upgrade to 2.1.16 from an
'bare' install of 2.1.9 on my home system, there weren't any (major) problems.
And a fresh install of 2.1.16 (on another machine) had no problems either.

Ok, I did an explict stop of mailman, removed the old rpm (rpm -e) and then a
fresh install of the new version, started mailman, and after some minor config
tweaks, it seems to be working.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com