[Mailman-Users] Yahoo Groups' From munging and X-Original-From

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon May 26 19:39:39 CEST 2014

>a) It seems to me that this or something like it (i.e. new de facto
>standard headers to work around the problem) is surely an almost
>inevitable outcome anyway.

I wouldn't count on it.  The reasonable approach to this kind of
nonsense is for the relatively small set of ISPs using DMARC policy to
whitelist the mail they already know it mishandles.

>b) The way things are going all domains will sooner or later publish a
>DMARC policy if they want their mail to be accepted anywhere.

No, not at all.  Comcast sent out a press release specifically saying
that they have no plans to publish a DMARC policy record.  Remember
that AOL and Yahoo had huge security breaches in which crooks stole
customer info including address books, and they're misusing DMARC as
as panic reaction to try to compensate, sort of.

Let's just say this move hasn't made any them friends in the industry.

R's,
John