[Mailman-Users] Will slices ever become permanent?

Jeff Taylor shdwdrgn at sourpuss.net
Tue Apr 7 17:09:51 CEST 2015

I've been running the modified slice code (three slice servers plus one
backup server) for the past couple years, and generally speaking it has
run perfectly.  However every now and then I find that mailman is
suddenly not running on any of the servers, with no helpful information
showing in the log files.  And it always comes down to discovering that
an update for mailman was released which overwrote the slice code that I
had added to mailmanctl.

This has been such a handy setup, I'm surprised that I haven't seen
comments from anyone else using the code.  Surely I'm not the only one
running multiple mailman servers?

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any plans to ever make this a
permanent part of mailman?  Since the QRUNNERS variable is only created
for this setup, it seems it would be an easy check to determine which
method a person is using, and run the appropriate code for each, so
there would be no impact on people running the single-server setup.  The
same is true for the backup server -- a single variable is defined ONLY
on that machine, so the necessary code would only run if that variable
were present.