[Mailman-Users] Moving MM2 to a new server (revisited).

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:38:30 CEST 2015

I saw several recent msgs about moving MM2 from one server to another,
but I need some more specific advice for my situation:

Old server (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 64-bit)
===========================

apache:    version 2.2.14 (2.2.14-5ubuntu8.15)
postfix:     version 2.7.0 (2.7.0-1ubuntu0.2)
mailman:  version 2.1.13 (1:2.1.13-1ubuntu0.2)

MM2/Postfix stopped sending messages back in April. I was clueless
until after I shutdown postfix a couple of days ago and have done
nothing to the old server's files.  I'm almost positive there is
undelivered mail there.

New server (Debian 7, 64bit)
====================

openssl: version 1.0.2d

I am successfully running Apache 2.4.16 with several virtual hosts.

I am going to install the latest Postfix (from src).  I will install
the latest MM2 (from src).

Plan
===

1. Get a working MM2 with one or more new lists associated with one or
more virtual hosts (with no new names conflicting with names from the
dormant lists).

2. Follow previous threads on transferring old lists to the new, working MM2.

Question:
=======

Is is necessary to restart Apache2, Postfix, and MM2 on the old server
in order to recover the undelivered mail, or can I somehow magically
copy files to the new server before that effort.  Note I haven't yet
looked at the logs on the old server.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom