[Mailman-Users] Assistance with altering reply-to behaviours and DMARC

Mark mark at incet.com
Fri Aug 28 08:52:01 CEST 2015

On 28/08/15 4:37 pm, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Stock Mailman 2.1.12 doesn't do any DMARC detection.  This is quite
> bizarre that they would backport such a feature rather than update to
> 2.1.18-1 or later.  Mailman 2.1 is hardly an unstable package.

I am not sure why the changes were back-ported - maybe it had something to do with the version of Python on the platform.  I fully understand that the ability of the developers is
limited to supporting known releases, and this release is not a supported one. So I don't expect more than some general guidance :)

>   > Normally the lists we use are configured with reply_goes_to_list
>   > and anonymous_list is off.  We have done some testing, and we have
>   > not been able to identify settings that will retain
>   > reply_goes_to_list functionality and turn on DMARC Mung.
>
> You'll have to talk to the vendor who did the modifications.
>
>   > Generally what happens is that the first message is successfully
>   > sent to a yahoo.com address and this user can reply to the message
>   > as normal.  However, mailman adds the original sender to the
>   > reply-to meaning that when another user replies to this message
>   > reply_goes_to_list doesn't work.
>
> What do you mean by "doesn't work"?  That it doesn't go to the list at
> all, or that although it goes to the list, it *also* goes (separately)
> to the original poster?

I will try to explain, but its only on subsequent replies the issue appears:-

Step 1:  email is sent to the list - the mail to DMARC protected domain is received ok by Yahoo web client.  Reply-to is set to the list.

Message source of first email is: