[Mailman-Users] Moderated approval via email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 21 21:59:11 EST 2015

On 12/21/2015 12:24 PM, Adrian Pepper wrote:
> I struggled with this problem until I unearthed this gem from the archive.
> In addition we were using aliases as moderators, so I thought that was the
> key problem, but subsequent testing suggests there is no such restriction.
> Is that correct?  So it is alright to use an alias as list administrator
> or moderator, but moderator recipients must simply know the "trick" of
> replying to the contained message, not the overall message.

Mailman doesn't care who the confirmation email is From:. If the confirm
token is correct and the message is sent to the proper place, that's all
that's required.

Also, see the FAQ article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030693>.

> I struggled so long with this I thought I'd post my dumpster diving
> and added observations in case it helped anyone else.  I didn't find
> anything like the following in a FAQ.
>
>      Note also, that this moderation message is a multipart/mixed message
>      and the part that says "If you reply to this message, keeping the
>      Subject: header intact ..." is it's own message/rfc822 part and it's
>      that message part you must reply to with the Approved: <password>
>      line, not the "outer" message.
>
> Perhaps mention of this should be added.  My apologies if it's already
> there and my web and keyword searches overlooked it.

I just added a FAQ article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/17891907>. Feel
free to edit it if you wish. Instructions for obtaining write access to
the wiki are at <http://wiki.list.org/FrontPage>.