[Mailman-Users] Help Request Returning Nothing

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 25 16:49:59 CET 2015

On 1/24/2015 8:24 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/24/2015 04:16 PM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> I've recently muddled through a migration to a new server and struggled
>> with setting up a custom URL for templates. However, in trying to set up
>> the URL on a previously working "help.txt", I've apparently fouled
>> something up. I now get the correct URL but little else. A help request
>> is returning the following:
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your

This is a bit convoluted. I don't know if this is unique to the CentOS 7
implementation or standard but everything is spread out now even more. I
found that /usr/lib/mailman/templates no longer exists. That directory
contains just a README that says the location was changed to
/etc/mailman/templates. In addition, I see there is also an mm_cfg.py in
/etc/mailman which is a sym link to /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.
Nothing like consistency. Why wasn't the templates directory also a
symlink? Sheesh!

> 1) lists/LISTNAME/en/ where LISTNAME is the name of the list you sent
> the request to
 This is the one it should be using and looks correct
(/var/lib/mailman/lists/LISTNAME/en/help.txt).
> 2) templates/DOMAIN/en/ where DOMAIN is the domain of the list
Does not exist.
> 3) templates/site/en/
Does not exist.
> 4) templates/en/
The file /etc/mailman/templates/en/help.txt appears to be correct.

> The first help.txt template found is the one being used. What does it
> contain?

(sanitized)
this site.  A command can be in the subject line or in the body of the
message.

Note that much of the following can also be accomplished via the World
Wide Web, at:

    %(listinfo_url)s

In particular, you can use the Web site to have your password sent to
your delivery address.

List specific commands (subscribe, who, etc) should be sent to the
*-request address for the particular list, e.g. for the 'mailman'
list, use 'mailman-request at ...'.

About the descriptions - words in "<>"s signify REQUIRED items and
words in "[]" denote OPTIONAL items.  Do not include the "<>"s or
"[]"s when you use the commands.

The following commands are valid:

    %(commands)s

Commands should be sent to LISTNAME.request at somemailserver.com

Questions and concerns for the attention of a person should be sent to

    LISTNAME.owner at somemailserver.com

Thanks.