[Mailman-Users] newsgroup->mailman moderation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 13 17:05:05 CEST 2015

On 7/13/15 7:36 AM, Danil Smirnov wrote:
>> If a post from someone who is a member of the gated mail list is gated
>> from the Usenet group to the mail list, and the poster's "Receive
>> acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the list?" (ack) option is
>> Yes, an acknowledgement will be sent when the post is delivered to the
>> mail list.
>
> It looks like I'm confused with this topic.

Or I was confused ...

> I'm afraid of the situation where people from Usenet become get some
> notifications from the Mailman saying, for instance, that their
> message is placed on hold for moderation or similar. This is very
> undesirable situation (actual spamming of them) and I worry a lot
> about it after correction in Moderate.py I made.

Notices to the poster of held posts are not sent if the post is gated
from Usenet.

If a post gated from Usenet is rejected because it is from a non-member
in reject_these_nonmembers or with your change a non-member with
generic_nonmember_action = Reject or from a moderated member with
member_moderation action = Reject, a notice  will be sent. The moral
here is never Reject non-member posts, either Hold them or Discard them.