[Mailman-Users] turn on tracing?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 20 16:12:39 EDT 2016

On 05/20/2016 12:04 PM, Richard Shetron wrote:
> That only tells me about long running processes, not ones that start and
> stop/die very quickly.  There are programs that aren't starting due to
> permission problems like qrunner.

The qrunners are started by mailmanctl which shoud be started as root
but then sets itself to the user:group that were configured with the
configure options --with-username and --with-groupname. These default to
'mailman'. You can find the values in Defaults.py in the settings for
MAILMAN_USER and MAILMAN_GROUP

> The latest web page now says (which
> doesn't tell me what the eid/gid were when the problem occured):

The web server is a persistent process, it's user:group on Ubuntu are
usually www_data, however, the web server invokes a CGI wrapper, e.g.
/var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/admin which should be SETGID and group =
Mailman's group.

> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.21rc2
>
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
> If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy
> of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
> happened. Thanks!
> Traceback:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/scripts/driver", line 86, in run_main
>     immediate=1)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 52, in
> __init__
>     Logger.__init__(self, category, nofail, immediate)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 50, in __init__
>     self.__get_f()
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 68, in __get_f
>     1)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/codecs.py", line 878, in open
>     file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/logs/error'

This is a secondary error because of the inability to write the real
error to the error log. Is the error log writable by Mailman's group?

Is there something like apparmor preventing access?