[Mailman-Users] stopping cross posting?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 10 21:56:30 EDT 2016

On 10/10/2016 05:44 PM, Adam Morris wrote:

> Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology.

You are.

> People send messages to a list I run as well as other lists that I have
> nothing to do with.
>

> When people reply to the message sent to other lists the replies go to
> my list as well as the list they replied to.

If the person replying does a reply-all and doesn't remove the lists of
which she is not a member from the recipients.

> Is there a way to stop this apart from asking people to only send the
> message to one list at a time?

Attempting to train your list members is futile[1]. What you can do is
set Privacy options... -> Recipient filters -> max_num_recipients to 2.
This will cause any post with 2 or more direct (To: and Cc:) recipients
to be held and then you can reject those posts. Whether this is more or
less burdensome than rejecting the non-member replies from the
cross-posted lists is something only you can decide.

Also this creates another problem. If, as we strongly recommend, your
list doesn't munge Reply-To:, and your user's MUAs don't offer a
reply-list option, they probably want to reply-all to list posts which
will cause their replies to be held too.

Bottom line: I feel your pain, but I don't have a satisfactory solution.

[1] My experience with lists whose members are not email wonks is that
attempts to alter member's behavior only result in their thinking you're
a jerk and don't modify their behavior.