[Mailman-Users] Mailman qrunner: [abrt] full crash report

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 31 12:43:48 EDT 2016

On 10/31/2016 05:43 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> I have been getting these crash reports occasionally. Does this look
> like a mailman problem or is mailman falling victim to some OS (Centos
> 7) or other issue? TIA.
>

> time: Thu 20 Oct 2016 06:43:20 AM EDT
>
> cmdline:        /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=VirginRunner:0:1 -s

The crash is in VirginRunner, but it is at a very low level within
Python itself.

Is there anything in Mailman's logs. There probably won't be anything in
the 'error' log specific to this event because the runner itself
crashed, but there should be something in the qrunner log about the
death and restart (and after the 10th time, it won't restart so you'd
need to restart Mailman).

Also, is it always VirginRunner and is the "core_backtrace:" always similar?

VirginRunner processes Mailman generated notices. There should be
messages in Mailman's logs and the system mail log which will indicate
what kind of notice Mailman was trying to send.

Also when VirginRunner dies, there will be a *.bak file left in the
virgin queue and when the runner restarts, this file will be recovered
and reprocessed, so there should be log messages (e.g. in Mailman's
'smtp' log) about that.

In any case, this seems more of a Python or OS issue than Mailman per se.