[Mailman-Users] Correct host values in mm.cfg.py

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 11 19:29:35 EDT 2017

On 04/11/2017 03:50 PM, Christian F Buser via Mailman-Users wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have started to install Mailman on a Mac OS X Sierra (10.12.4) machine, using Macports. I installed the necessary python27 component and mailman itself so far. But then, I am stuck...
>
> At the end of the mailman install process, I receive the message
>
> "Be sure to verify the email and URL host settings in the Mailman configuration file (they may have been guessed incorrectly during the configuration step):
>        /opt/local/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py"
>
> The entries which the installation created automatically are:
>
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailman.fritz.box'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman.fritz.box'
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
> Of course, mailman.fritz.box is not a valid address, it is just the
name of the machine followed by the router name... what else should I
put there? The machine does not have an IP number or an address which is
accessible from the internet. A setting like "mailman.localhost" seems
not to work. The web interface does not need to be available from
"outside". I will need to use an outside SMTP- and POP3 server for mail
exchange, since the machine is behind a router with a dynamic IP address
assigned by the access provider according to their needs.

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is the domain name associated with the addresses that
receive list mail. I.e. if a list posting address is list at example.com,
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST should be set to 'example.com'. It doesn't matter if
this is an external mail exchange server, but whatever the email domain
is should be the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST value.

DEFAULT_URL_HOST is the host portion of the URL that will be used to
access the Mailman web UI. mailman.localhost should be acceptable if in
fact http://mailman.localhost/ URLs will work. Also, it's supposed to be
a "fully qualified" domain name, but I think just 'localhost' will work
for DEFAULT_URL_HOST.