[Mailman-Users] Plesk Migration -- Mailman Issues

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 23 19:01:21 EST 2017

On 02/23/2017 03:44 PM, Greg Sims wrote:
> Plesk migration from one server to another has some serious holes including
> sending list Welcome Messages to everyone on the lists that are migrated.
> This is not an acceptable scenario as far as I am concerned.
>
> The Plesk workaround is to modify the mailman code before the migration:
>
> https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000066705-Welcome-messages-to-mail-list-members-are-sent-after-migration

I know virtually nothing about Plesk or their Mailman package, but it
looks to me from a brief look at the above that it's talking about a
migration process which creates a new list on the target and adds users
to it.

This is not a good way to move a list. The way to move a list is to copy
the lists/LISTNAME/config.pck file from the old server to the new. Then
welcome messages will not be an issue.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030682>.