[Mailman-Users] fix permissions error?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 9 16:20:16 EDT 2017

On 05/09/2017 10:24 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:

> Clicking on the link gives first the info page and clicking on its
> archive link gives:
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /pipermail/davedave/ on this server.
>
> And that's the issue I was hoping to address by the permissions fix.

It may have been check_perms that misled you on this, but the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private directory MUST be either o+x or owned
by the web server user (probably www-data in your case).

If it's o+x, check_perms will inform you because if the server has
multiple login users and some of these users should not be allowed to
access private list archives, you want o-x, but otherwise it doesn't
matter. See the Warning box at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>