[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-cabal] GDPR

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat May 12 16:42:14 EDT 2018

Julian H. Stacey writes:

 > Best action for least effort, IMO is first someone to agree to
 > commit a big default legal disclaimer in the Mailman source
 > distribution, as a

This isn't going to happen if I have anything to say about it.  (I may
not have all that much to say about it! :-)  As far as I can see that
would be tantamount to giving legal advice, even if hedged with IANAL
TINLA.  And it would almost certainly be wrong for many sites.  At the
very least I would oppose it without opinion of two real lawyers (one
from the US where we have some money that could be taken from us and
most of our devs live for the TINLA issue, and one from the EU for
GDPR interpretation), which I don't think we can afford.

[There used to be 60-some lines of suggestion here, which just
reinforces my estimate that we cannot afford enough real legal advice
to make such a boilerplate disclaimer safe for publication in the
distribution.]

Counterproposal: we make a wiki page that people can update, with
suggested text *and citations to "authorities"* (or real authorities,
where possible) explaining the use cases and limitations of those
EULA clauses.

Steve