[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-cabal] GDPR

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue May 15 14:51:22 EDT 2018

On 05/15/2018 03:08 AM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> What do I redact or remove in this instance?
>
> - Personal details about the original poster and the event who had not
> consented to having their email posted to the mailing list;

I would likely have (presuming sufficient motivation):

1)  Get mailman into a state that I can safely modify the archive.
2)  Run a script (likely sed) to REDACT the contents.
       sed -i$ticketID 's/phone number/REDACTED/g;s/Eventbright
Link/REDACTED/g;#etc'
3)  Restarted Mailman and possibly web server serving the archive.
     (Or otherwise flushed caches.)

I quite like "REDACTED" as it shows that there was something, and that
it was removed, but it does not show what that something was.

> In the end I removed the phone numbers, her personal address and the
> Eventbright links from all messages, including some messages from other
> people where they had re-echoed the Eventbright links as part of their
> conversation to help other people.

Fair enough.

> She wasn't very happy,

I doubt there was much more that you could have done.  She's free to be
upset.  But she shouldn't be upset with you.  You did her a favor that I
don't think you were strictly compelled to do.

> but worse is the person who forwarded it to the mailing list refused to
> understand what they had really done and believed they had the right to
> send the post anywhere as they believed it was in the public domain.

*sigh*

I don't know what to say there.

I feel like that's between her and the event owner / organizer.

> Just an example of the type of stuff that I may get asked to remove
> in future.

IMHO that is not unexpected, if not somewhat typical.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die