[Mailman-Users] Automatic subscription based on e-mail subject

R. Diez rdiezmail-temp2 at yahoo.de
Fri Feb 1 08:36:02 EST 2019

> Perhaps I'm being a bit over dramatic, but it does, in my mind, describe
> what you seem to be doing, You come in and say that the list software
> isn't working the way you would prefer, but for this conversation,
> everyone else needs to change how they use the list so you can
 > [...]

You are being a bit over dramatic indeed. I don't pretend that everyone else should change their ways. And I do look into the archives all
the time. That is what I am trying to optimise away. I just wish Mailman (or whatever associated component) would help here, like other
communication platforms already do.

Like I said, I cannot subscribe to every list I need to ask a question or drop a bug report into. I just have not got enough time. I only go
through the mailing list hoops if something is really serious, or if something really bugs me. Unsurprisingly, bureaucracy barriers do have
a negative effect on communication after all.

And I do care. I am trying to understand what the problem is. I am trying to convince you guys, because you write mailing list software.
This communication activity also counts as "work". If I find the time, I will write it all up in my Wiki, so other people have a quick
overview of what the problem is. I am not the only one annoyed by this.

> The expectation for a mailing list, is that someone with a question will
> come and hopefully first browse through the archives (perhaps with a
 > [...]

I have done that. Why do you assume or imply that I had not? I just didn't find anything applicable.

> To just barge in and do it 'their own way' is just being impolite.
 > [...]

Would you rather I didn't post then? But like I said, I do look at the archives later on. This is how I realised that you do have a message
at the top dated "April 2024". By the way, that is a bit embarrassing for a mailing list for mailing list software. But manually looking at
the archives is just unnecessarily time consuming for me.

As far as your mailing list is concerned, you can certainly say that users should accommodate to the way you operate your mailing list. You
can start by stating your usage policy here, next to "Mailman Users":

http://list.org/contact.html

But I still think it is a strange way to treat your users. You know, the people you write the software for. My claim is, that drives many
people away. What you consider "unpolite" often comes across as "unforgiving", "unhelpful" or "out of touch with reality" on the other side.
After all, you are trying to load unnecessary burden on the shoulders of those users willing to communicate.

Not subscribing is in fact a quite common behaviour. For example, look for "not subscribed" here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/smartmontools/mailman/smartmontools-support/thread/9e4d58a79814d365ac99c8181eeb35bf@coraid.com/

 > [...]
> 'Mostly work' is often a problem. Computers need precise procedures, and
> people tend to expect that they do things right.

No need to be so strict. We face communication problems everyday. Mobile phones fail. Letters get lost. Misunderstandings. Wrong addressee.
Server down. The lot. But things are still improving. Surely Mailman and the like can do better!

> It's a bit like asking why the city bus can't come right when I need it,

Surely the smartphone app that tells you when the bus comes (or maybe Google Maps) does not get it 100 % right either. But would you rather

Regards,
   rdiez