[Mailman-Users] Starting mailman on reboot

John mailman-owner at rx7-world.net
Wed Feb 27 17:03:54 EST 2019

On 2/27/19 12:22 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 2/27/19 9:36 AM, John wrote:
>> hmmm...  I have mailman on 2 systems. One does not start on boot. Referencing
>> the manual link, I have no misc/mailman on either system.(?) Both systems are
>> ubuntu (different versions), with Virtualmin.
>
> misc/mailman is in the source distribution. If you installed the
> Debian/Ubuntu package, you probably don't have that, but it appears you
> do have /etc/init.d/mailman
>
>> From the failing system:
>> root>systemctl status mailman
>> ● mailman.service - LSB: Mailman Master Queue Runner
>>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mailman; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
> These are normal.
>
>>    Active: inactive (dead)
> This of course is not.
>
> Are the ownership and mode of /etc/init.d/mailman the same on both
> systems and is there any difference in the contents?
>
> You might try 'systemctl enable mailman' on the non-starting system.
>
> -- Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers, San Francisco Bay
> Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

I forgot I found the problem before, reminded myself by debugging again... ;-)
The directory /var/run/mailman is going away on reboot, so mailman can't create
the pid file. The work-around is to create /var/run/mailman with the proper
permissions & ownership and start the mailman service. I'm going to compare my 2
init.d files, if there is no difference, I am going to patch the init.d file to
check for /var/run/mailman...

Thanks,
John