[Matplotlib-devel] MEP 29 Axes Refactor

OceanWolf juichenieder-nabb at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 5 17:16:06 CEST 2015

Dear matplotlibers,
Here I announce the creation of MEP29 to tidy up the Axes classes, and
other classes that relate specifically to the Axes.

See https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/5029 which you can
click through to
https://github.com/OceanWolf/matplotlib/blob/MEP-Axes-API/doc/devel/MEP/MEP29.rst
to see the text itself.

This MEP outlines how I see the Axes class progressing and tbh I feel
very excited about what I have written, allowing people to write all
sorts of exotic Axes such as those that employ non-Euclidian geometry;
and also allowing for us to add multiple x,y,z axes to a 3d plot to name
but a few of the features this MEP will add.

Check out the MEP for more details, and please feel free to give
comment.  I should also point out that while I know about the existence
of non-Euclidian geometry, my background comes from ocean-physics, not
mathematics, so I have no knowledge beyond that considered popular
mathematics.

Also due to the complexity of the Axes classes at the moment, and how it
spreads out into many files and beyond the core-matplotlib, I think this
will take quite some time to implement, at the moment I just want to
collate the most salient points into this MEP, I don't know how many
features unknown to me exist, so help welcome, and then sort through,
decide on a stratagy of how to split this up into more bitesized PRs and
get going.

Best,
OceanWolf