[Matplotlib-devel] nbagg and exceptions raised by callbacks

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:36:18 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to debug a plot callback using the
nbagg backend.

The following notebook illustrates the issue:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/e6cb1acd8bfbfda35bf1

If you run that notebook (based on an example in the maptlotlib
documentation; I'm using IPython 4.0 and Matplotlib 1.5rc), and try to zoom
in on the right-hand panel the exception raised by the ax_update function
is never propagated up to the level of the user. If I remove the call to
"%matplotlib notebook" from the first cell and run the notebook, a GUI
window provided by the MacOSX backend will pop up, and if I zoom into the
right-hand plot there, an exception does get printed in the notebook.

Is this a bug in the nbagg backend or is there some sort of runtime
parameter I need to set to make sure exceptions raised while updating an
nbagg plot get propogated back up to my runtime environment?

Thanks for your help,

Nathan Goldbaum