[Matplotlib-devel] supported python versions

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 21:58:23 CEST 2015

To follow up the following is the matrix of possible 'supported python'
tables for the next few releases:

   v1.5.0 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5 and is known to work with 2.6, and
3.3
   v2.0.0 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5 and is known to work with 2.6, and
3.3
   v2.0.1 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5 and is known to work with 3.3

cons: 'known to work with' is controversial/confusing, may pick up
incompatibilities on a micro release.
pros: simple on dev side, lets 2.6/3.3 semi-gracefully fall away.

   v1.5.0 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5
   v2.0.0 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5
   v2.0.1 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5

cons: under-documents the 'real' support, drops 2.6 without much warning
pros: simple on dev side

   v1.5.0 is supported in 2.6, 2.7, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5
   v2.0.0 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5
   v2.0.1 is supported in 2.7, 3.4, 3.5

cons: muddies the water on 2.0 being 'style only', under documents where
2.0 will work, implicitly commits us to a 2.6 compatible 1.5.x series but I
do not anticipate us actually doing a 1.5.x series.

My preference is A > C > B.

Tom