[Matplotlib-users] meaning of scale in quiver

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 1 15:53:03 EST 2018

Hi,

I'm making a plot in which I plot a bunch of velocity vectors that show the
deviation of the material from it's average velocity.  I use quiverkey to
show the size scale of the vectors, but I'd also like to show the mean
velocity vector on the plot.
So, what I need is the meaning of the scale value. I'm using units='dots'
and have set the scale value by trial and error to 0.75 to get a good
looking plot.  Given these, can someone tell me how to translate some value
from a magnitude for a vector to a length on my plot?  I've looked at the
code for quiver and quiverkey and it's a bit opaque to me, at least without
spending significant time studying it.

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA