[Matplotlib-users] meaning of scale in quiver

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 1 16:28:53 EST 2018

Jon,

The relevant parameters are 'scale_units' (not 'units') and 'scale'. I
think the docstring entry for 'scale_units' will clarify the situation:

scale_units : [ 'width' | 'height' | 'dots' | 'inches' | 'x' | 'y' |
'xy' ], \
None, optional
     If the *scale* kwarg is *None*, the arrow length unit. Default is
*None*.

     e.g. *scale_units* is 'inches', *scale* is 2.0, and
     ``(u,v) = (1,0)``, then the vector will be 0.5 inches long.

     If *scale_units* is 'width'/'height', then the vector will be half the
     width/height of the axes.

     If *scale_units* is 'x' then the vector will be 0.5 x-axis
     units. To plot vectors in the x-y plane, with u and v having
     the same units as x and y, use
     ``angles='xy', scale_units='xy', scale=1``.

In other words,

data_value * scale_units / scale = size in scale_units

I suspect it would have been less confusing if scale had been defined as
the reciprocal of what it is--but we are stuck with it as-is.

Eric