[MATRIX-SIG] C++/Blitz++ comments

Phil Austin phil@geog.ubc.ca
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:51:14 -0800

    JH> On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Janko Hauser wrote:
    >> PS: Hasn't Phil Austin mentioned some efforts to connect Python
    >> with Blitz++, a expression-template rich C++ library?

    JH> That would be interesting, but I'm not quite sure how such a
    JH> linkage could work, since templates are a compile-time
    JH> phenomenon.  Does anyone know anything more about this?

    JH> In any case, both of my major NumPy/C++ projects have been
    JH> through SWIG.  I've just started using the TNT C++ library
    JH> (from NIST).  With the right SWIG typemaps, passing NumPy
    JH> arrays to and from the TNT Vectors is completely seamless,
    JH> only requiring a copy or two.

That's all we're doing as well--we circulated some SWIG typemaps that
used MV++ several months ago (with an error or two in those examples,
unfortunately).  We were waiting to migrate the examples from MV++ to
TNT when Roldan Pozo  adds a  constructor that takes a C
pointer and the array dimensions (eliminating that array copy).  Blitz
has this constructor in the latest release.  The other good news is
that egcs (http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/) now compiles the Blitz example
suite, so we won't have to increase our KCC licence count to move everyone
to Blitz.

Phil