medusa ready() patch

Donovan Baarda abo@m...
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:59:30 +1000

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:05:24AM -0700, ender wrote:
> Hello Donovan,
>
> I was curious if there was any further developments regarding your patch to
> add a ready methods to producers. Namely if you had developed the patches
> further or used them in production and if there had been any discussion with
> sam rushing regarding inclusion with medusa?

I have not had a chance to actualy use it in anger myself yet, but I have
had some feedback from a few people playing with it. One post pointed out
that I seemed to have re-invented a slightly different design-pattern to the
one medusa was based on... a total accident :-)

I have also failed to keep it up to date with medusa. Sam has put out at
least one new version since I did my patch, so I need to update it.
Interestingly, at least one of the things I did in my patch seems to have
been adopted and improved on in Sam's new version (removing the cache for
find_prefix_at_end), though I think it was independantly developed without
looking at my patch. Certainly I have not had any feedback from Sam about
it.

I really don't know how much demand there would be for something like this
in medusa, or even the async bits in Python. Everything it does can be done
probably better by using proper async objects rather than blocking
producers. The only reason I did it was because the existing medusa
achitecture assumes that its virtual filesystem files are non-blocking, and
making producers block was a quicker fix than making the whole medusa
virtual filesystem asynchronos.

I did make my changes backwards compatible, so it shouldn't hurt too much if
they were included in medusa itself. However, some of my other changes to
things like the producer class heirachy might have been too heavy handed
for someone like Sam to comfortably accept. If enough people did feel it was
worth including, and Sam was willing, I'd be more than happy to do what is
needed to make it suitable for inclusion into medusa itself.

I am still planning on using it soon, so I will be updating it. I'm also
willing to support it as an add-on patch to medusa, tracking medusa
development. I'm open to any other suggestions too :-)

ABO: finger abo@m... for more info, including pgp key