[melbourne-pug] web framework advice

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Wed Apr 12 07:36:26 CEST 2006

Maurice Ling wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
>  From what I know, TurboGears uses CherryPy at the backend. It can be
> seen as a site-builder using CherryPy. However, Being Python-based,
> Karigell and TurboGears have a simplified way to link to SQLlite and Gadfly.
>
> I've not really done any real web development before. Nevertheless,
> looking at some other people's experiences, the database backend is
> irrelevant to the web server or application server.
>
> I am in full support of Firebird, you know that... :P
>
> It may be possible to use mod_python in Apache to do that link. I
> believe using any forms of data management backend has no relevance to
> Apache. Can someone comment on this?

Thanks Maurice

You are right. The application software does the database work and
Apache just serves the constructed page.

SQLite or Gadfly would probably do the trick initially. However I will
need to think about slipping Firebird in there at some point.

I have just done a demo version of the app using the file system for
persistence all the time thinking I would separate that out later but I
now find it is impossible. I took too many yagni shortcuts telling
myself it was a throwaway demo. But I had to add a lot of features I
hadn't expected and now I'm reluctant to throw it all out.

What I'm saying is the production version has to be better thought
through with a view to ongoing maintenance and if I can predict it needs
Firebird for scalability, licensing and low support overhead then I
should figure that in from the start.

Regards

mike